Believe it or not, next spring we will be convening in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for our 56thBiennial In-Service Conference from April 4-7, 2019. Our PMEA hosts are hard at work laying the groundwork for a fantastic experience for music educators, students and parents alike.
To give you some idea of what a NAfME Eastern Division Conference looks like, here are some astounding figures from the 2017 Atlantic City Conference, prepared by Debby Sfraga, NJMEA Executive Secretary-Treasurer:
- Beyond 1700 registrants representing 21 US states and Europe!
- Nearly 230 in-service sessions provided
- More than 40 guest ensemble performances
- Almost 800 student participants in 5 honors ensembles
- Housing in 4 hotels
- Over 80 Convention Center exhibitors
At this time, there are a number of important 2019 Conference preparations that involve ALL members of the NAfME Eastern Division:
- Performing Group Application – Window of Opportunity to submit is Wednesday, May 9 – Wednesday, June 13. Information and the application is available at: https://www.pmea.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019-Audition-Procedures-for-Performing-Groups.pdf A number of concert hours, as well as less formal performance opportunities will be included in the schedule of events for the conference. This is a great opportunity for you to bring your ensemble to Pittsburgh to showcase fine musicianship, as well as to share this scenic and historic area of our country with your students.
- Conference Session Proposals – Window of Opportunity to submit is Wednesday, May 9 – Wednesday, June 13. Information and the application is available at: https://www.pmea.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019-Session-Proposal-Application-Info.pdf
- There will be hundreds of workshops, panels, lectures, and “in-formances” scheduled over four days during our residency at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Share your best practices with your colleagues!
- Eastern Division Student Honors Ensemble Applications – Window of Opportunity to submit is Monday, August 20 – Friday, September 21. The leadership of your state’s music association will share with all eligible high school students and their teachers the details of the process for applying to participate in the 2019 Eastern Division Band, Orchestra, Mixed Chorus, Treble Chorus, and Instrumental Jazz Ensemble. Current information is available at: https://www.pmea.net/news/2019-eastern-division-honors-ensembles-info-2/
After what has seemed like an interminably long winter, it is a relief to see some flowers on the verge of blooming and a bit of green returning to our landscape. This is the time when so many of us plan capstone experiences for our students as their school year of musical study draws to a close. May your spring performance season be filled with a bounty of personally and musically rewarding and joyful moments!