Teachers and students in DMEA member schools are invited to submit original compositions by students in grades K through 12 for evaluation by a panel of composers for inclusion in the 1st Annual DMEA Music Composition Contest. Each student who submits a composition will receive a written evaluation that provides feedback about his/her composition. The compositions may be in any style and genre.
ALL student composers will receive a DMEA Certificate and a written evaluation of their work with the top scoring compositions being previewed prior to one or several DMEA All-State Events and the composer receiving a one year renewable subscription to Finale Print Music.
Grades K-5 (elementary), 6-8 (Middle), and 9-12 (High)
• Entries are due (postmarked or submitted online) by February 1, 2017
* Entry Fee of $10 for one submission, $15 for two submissions.
• No more than two compositions may be submitted by one student.
• Original student compositions must not exceed five (5) minutes.
Compositions may be for a solo instrument or voice, or for an ensemble of instruments and or voices.
- A score MUST be included. Scores are to be either traditionally or graphically notated.
- Every submission must be sponsored by a current DMEA member who must sign off on the application and provide their NAfME membership number and contact information.
An Audio CD recording must be included containing no other material than the student’s entry (this can be an electronically created version - using computer notation program).
Compositions will be judged based on three broad criteria: Creativity and uniqueness, Compositional Technique/Artisanship, Energy and style. Compositional Technique/Artisanship is the primary criterion, DMEA will attempt to represent all three age categories and will seek to compositions of varied style, genre, and instrumentation.